Technical Writer Position Requirements
Develop material from scratch, update existing documentation, write and edit material for application notes, errata, release notes, product briefs, programming guides,evaluation board user
guides, and datasheets. Potentially contribute to product marketing related technical or administrative publications as needed.
Experience Level: 3 to 10years
Technical writing experience levels:
o Intermediate Technical Writer (3-5 years)
o Senior Technical Writer (6 or more years)
1. Someone who has produced technical documents like chip data sheets (not just marketing content like web-content or marketing brochures)
2 The person should have basic knowledge of what technical documents should contain
3. Should have preferably worked at a chip company before
General definition of the chip product, its features and benefits, block diagrams of functional components, package information including part marking, ordering information, related release notes, and corporate contact information.
4. Overview of the product including deployment considerations (mechanical, power supplies, clocks used, supported flash devices, power-on default values).
5. A listing of supported SerDes configurations, power-on operations, cable and board diagnostics, supported debug and diagnostics tools, supported API and programming tools, and what MACsec/EEE/PTP features are supported.
6. A listing of tables that define the package pin and signals for management interface, serial flash, firmware, daisy chain, SerDes, MDI, timing, LED, reference resistor, JTAG/test, debug, power, reserved pin/signal functions, and a pin-out drawing of supported BGA pin and signal locations.
7. Timing figures and tables that define MDIO, interrupt, reset, SPI, SerDes, and SGMII/KR/2500BASE-X functions.
8. Electrical specification tables that define device absolute maximum parameters, recommended operating conditions, operating power modes and latency, power supply specifications (with listed minimum/typical/maximum values and units), steady state operating conditions (with listed typical/maximum values and units), instantaneous current consumption (with listed typical/maximum values and units), and additional tables that define management interface characteristics, I/O pin electrical parameters, serial flash characteristics, SerDes transmitter/receiver characteristics, MDI electrical parameters, reference clock electrical parameters, and resistor electrical parameters.
9. Mechanical package drawing for the supported device packages, theta J values, and supported thermal model.
Introduction, register structure and format, and a listing of the supporting register tables for the device.
10. Technical writers with strong software, marketing, or technical illustrator backgrounds are not the ideal candidate for this role.
o Adobe FrameMaker (primary authoring tool); should have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in using tool to create finished documentation. FrameMaker is used to author datasheets, programming guides, and all larger documents. Need familiarity with creating book files using chapters and front matter, creating table of contents, list of tables and figures, doing basic modifications to master pages, using variables, creating anchored frames, importing artwork by reference, creating and modifying indexes, and producing release ready PDF using corporate templates.
o MS-Word (secondary authoring tool); basic requirement is to have a working
knowledge sufficient to create finished documentation. Tool is used to generate initialdrafts of product briefs (before handing over to Corporate Communications forconversion to Adobe Illustrator), application notes, and release notes.
o (Recommended) Familiarity with JIRA (project and issue tracking software).
o Paint and SnagIt (preferred tools for capturing screen shots or modifying artwork foruse in draft or release documentation).
o Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator (basic working knowledge).
o Adobe Acrobat DC proficiency (primary authoring tool); should have sufficient
proficiency to create PDFs from MS-Word or FrameMaker source files, ability to
revise, edit, and create watermarks.
Preferred experience in semiconductor chip or hardware device manufacturing industry.
Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style, Microsoft Manual of Style, or AP Style Guide.
Basic familiarity with IEEE standards.
Essential Technical Writer Duties and Responsibilities
Interact with engineering/marketing/FAE teams to determine the correct procedure, product details, or information needed to properly document the device or product overview, hardware interfaces, timing, electrical specifications, device package, pin-out drawings, pin lists, or registers.
Interview FAEs, Marketing, and Engineering personnel for details, and research journals,
internal reports, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and other materials to become familiar with product technologies.
Review competitor companys catalogs, drawings, datasheets, and other sources relative to creating the material or artwork needed for use in documentation.
Study schematics, sketches, drawings, parts lists, specifications, pin lists and product samples to integrate and understand the technology, proper operating procedure, and sequence and detail.
Organize material and complete writing assignments according to designated corporate standards within the scheduled release schedule while maintaining clarity, conciseness, style, and correct terminology.
Review existing published material and recommend or make required revisions or changes in scope, format, content complete the scheduled task.
Maintain records and files of work and revisions, including final PDFs, and a
change_log.txt file in the proper network location for each product or device.
Create new, or modify existing photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate the artwork material to compliment the text material needed for the released publication.
Schedule review cycles using corporate functional groups (such as Engineering, FAEs, and Marketing), compile and incorporate the review comments, and produce a revised version of the documentation for uploading to the corporate portal.
Complete any other duties that may be assigned to you from FAE or Marketing.
Be detailed-oriented, flexible, be able to shift from one project to another to assist immediate demands for documentation changes or completion, and have the motivation to want to continually improve the state of the documentation.
Understand that the technical documentation, as well as the product device, represents the company
Use email, face-to-face meetings, team meetings, and the various network resources available to gather information needed to complete a task.
(Minimum) 2-year Associate degree
4-year Bachelor degree
Equivalent experience working in the industry
Must be able to work on-site on a daily basis, have access to the lab or production environment
to observe product device, and interact with the necessary engineering, FAE, or marketing team
Salary: ₹ Not Disclosed by Recruiter
[Apply here ]